Books and Amazon

Apart from blogging, sewing and taking care of my kids (in that order !!!!! joking) I also spend a bit of time chatting on the phone. This week books have come up several times and I find myself promising to email titles or refer friends to blog for the links. Thus a post devoted to books this afternoon.

Firstly I've been remiss. I told you about a book by Japan-based writer Suzanne Kamata. I was very excited when Losing Kei arrived but somehow I didn't get around to reading it until fairly recently.

I'll admit that at first I was disappointed. It seemed too simplistic. I felt the characters and the rich setting were not developed enough. Then I got pulled into the story. Basically I couldn't stop thinking about it as I went about my day, wondering what was going to happen next and how it was going to end. I think I had pretty high expectations of this book. High hopes for Suzanne. I was quick to judge rather than let it sit quietly within me. That was a mistake.

This book will resonate with a lot of you who are here in Japan, married with children. I recommend you check it out.

Suzanne Kamata is also the editor of this book:



Which brings me to Amazon Japan. Did you know that you can order almost any book currently in publication through the Japan site? Assistance is available in English. You can type the titles in English, search by category, price etc. What I do is search for titles on the US site then copy & paste the ISBN numbers into Amazon Japan.

Shipping is free if you spend over 1500 yen, you can pay by credit card, on delivery or you can print a bar coded receipt and pay at your local convenience store.



This book is one I tell all my friends about. I've mentioned it on this blog several times. It's like a Bible for me. It is a must-read.

It's all about maternal guilt, mothers not be able to say no, feeling hugely over-stretched all the time, unable to meet the ridiculous expectations we set for ourselves.

I Was a Really Good Mom Before I had Kids: Reinventing Modern Motherhood by Trisha Ashworth, Amy Nobile.

My favorite quote is this: I love being a mom, I just hate doing it.
Best advice: 4 pm is cocktail hour
Another gem: Chatting on the phone whilst preparing dinner is not only encouraged it is mandatory if we are to remain sane.



Here is another book I have recommended this week:

4 comments:

  1. One I recently ran across that looks interesting is You're a Good Mom (and Your Kids Aren't So Bad Either)by Jen Singer. That have it at Amazon US, but so far I haven't found it on Amazon Japan. It is really new though so it may be a little bit longer before they get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. I see you can pre-order it from amazon.jp

    # ISBN-10: 1402211147
    # ISBN-13: 978-1402211140

    She also has a blog, within amazon. Looks like a good read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, she's got a whole webpage
    http://mommasaid.net/

    The stay at home mom's coffee break. Love that slogan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to reading the Losing Kei book.
    That Jen Singer one looks good too.
    Now if only I could concentrate for more than 10 minutes at a time!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.