For Japanophiles

Today, whilst doing some research I came across this website: The National Diet Library (nothing to do with dieting, diet is the term used for parliament here in Japan).

It is a goldmine of information.

By far my favorite section is the International Library of Children's Literature (click top right) within this section there are slide shows of hundreds of old books dating back a couple of centuries. Alongside the list of books is a timeline of popular culture and social conditions at the time the book was published. One of the goals of the project is to illustrate the influence of "foreign" cultures and interconnectedness of the world. It's fascinating.

Another great read is the history of bookbinding and printing presses. It begins with the invention of the Gutenberg printing press. Again, so interesting.

If you're at all interested in Japanese illustration, of the traditional variety, have a look here Flora and Fauna. This page is all in Japanese but it's easy to pick out the dates as they are enclosed in brackets like this (1727). A lot of these images could serve as inspiration for textiles or wallpaper since pattern is enjoying such a resurgence at the moment.

Lastly I direct you to the Meiji and Taisho Era Photograph pages. So cool!

Most of this is available in English and Japanese. Very impressive.

4 comments:

  1. isn't it? I could spend a year in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god! I have a languages and culture paper to complete early next year for my studies. I decided a year ago that I would compare and contrast Japanese and New Zealand literature. That is going to be an invaluable resource. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.