New Years Eve!

Well here we are on the last day of 2008. What a year!

I did a tiny bit of year-end cleaning this morning and swore to get someone in next year (Merry Maids for example). I cooked just one dish for our New Year's feast. All our food was delivered this year and it had all arrived by 12.30pm so we are bursting at the seams with yummy, albeit strange, things to eat.

This is what I made: Kinpira Gobo. Gobo is burdock root. But what on earth is burdock root? Despite looking very unappealing at the supermarket I do like to cook it for New Year's. Mr. Mee a Bee has verified the authenticity of my recipe. It's not quite the same as the one I have linked to since I use sesame oil. This gives it a really nutty flavor.

Another fun thing about New Year's is that we get a chance to use all of our fancy dishes and plates. I have squirreled away quite a few little sets of decorated bowls, sake cups and other things. Tonight I discovered a box at the back of the top cupboard of five brand-new bowls, still wrapped in tissue, that I bought at the kindergarten garage sale! I also have sets of the most delicate porcelain dishes that I bought shortly after we got married. A big department store had gone bankrupt and everything was on sale. My colleagues lived on the jokes for weeks about my lunch-hour finds. I'm the one laughing now!

I'm signing off with my wishes for all of you to have a wonderful New Year's Eve. Thank you for your kindness and support over the past year. Happy Birthday Andrew! and see you next year!

4 comments:

  1. HAPPY NEW YEAR DEAR FRIEND!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, you got still 6 minutes, I should write somethng more here :) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mee-a

    Happy New year to you and the gang!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you too Jacqui to you and your family! I managed to stay up until 2am this year - a personal best!

    Your New Year's feast sounded sumptuous. Oishii! (apart from 'sake' that's the only Japanese I know!)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.