Book Review: Craft Inc.

The other day I was talking about this book with a friend of mine. We both agreed it's really good: Craft Inc. Turn Your Creative Hobby Into a Business by Meg Mateo Ilasco

I've been re-reading sections this past week. There's a section on surviving economic downturn, very relevant right now. I don't mind saying that things have been very slow in my store since Christmas. I think everyone is feeling the pinch but I know I can get through it. Creating is a big part of my life. It always has been in one way or another. I'm taking advantage of this lull to get back to basics and get my creative juices re-flowing. I am spending time on projects other than sewing; stuff for my kids, things I've wanted to try but haven't had time for.

If you're thinking about starting a craft business then this book is for you. If you're already in business then you'll still learn a lot. A lot of creative businesses are born on the spur of the moment and then grow organically. A sound business and marketing plan is essential if your business is to last and be profitable. You'll find all the nuts and bolts here to start building a solid foundation for your business.

I like the tone of this book. It's common sense and practical but not patronizing. The author speaks from experience having turned her own hobby (card making) into a successful entity: www.mateoilasco.com. There are also several interviews with other entrepreneurial crafters who have made it big.



You needn't worry that this book focuses on the American business scene. The chapters are clearly laid out to allow you to pull out the relevant information for your situation. It's easy to see which information you need to seek out for your country - taxes, business structure, banking.

Aesthetically this book is very pleasing. It's small, just 8" tall. The perfect size to pop in your handbag and take to the park ;) I love the front cover, it's matte not glossy which makes me want to touch it (that's weird, right?). The corners are curved which is a nice feature. The blue and khaki color scheme inside makes the book look fresh and contemporary. It's a lovely little book to hold and behold. And 100% full of valuable information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.