Today, being a sunny and windy day I decided to wash-test one of my popular linen/cotton messenger bags. I haven't done that for a while and I think it's good practice to see how products will stand up to normal use.
First I put it into a laundry net just to keep the strap from tangling around too much.
A cold wash is recommended for linen/cotton blend so I went ahead and washed it on the hot cycle since I am sure a lot of people regularly wash with hot water. (I rarely do from an environmental standpoint)
I used ordinary washing powder, Ariel, and chose the standard cycle.
My machine uses "beat and wash" technology which is an environmental choice since it uses very little water. Instead of filling the drum with water it flops the washing over on top of itself to "beat" it clean with the minimum amount of water possible. Everything comes out very crinkled. This bag was no exception.
I hung it outside, partly in the shade, and went off to get lunch. I left it outside for about twenty or thirty minutes since I did not want it to get too dry. I had already decided I would iron it "damp".
I set my iron to the highest temperature then ironed it directly on the print. The fabric was still damp so a bit loose. I ironed it from the center out. I could have spent longer really pressing the creases out but I think it looks almost as good as new just how it is.
Verdict: Mee a Bee bags are machine washable and easy-care. If you think you'll be washing it frequently I still recommend a cold handwash to minimize wrinkling and wear.
So this bag is not "new" anymore. It is up for grabs in a giveaway.
To have a chance at winning simply do one of the following:
1. Follow this blog or subscribe to the RSS feed, then add a comment below telling me your favorite or least household chore.
2. Become a fan of Mee a Bee on Facebook, then add a comment below telling me about your favorite or least favorite household chore.
3. Subscribe to the Mee a Bee newsletter, then add a comment below telling me about your favorite or least favorite household chore. Tell a friend to subscribe for an extra entry, thanks!
4. Follow Mee a Bee on Twitter, then add a comment below telling me about your favorite or least favorite household chore. Tweet the giveaway for an extra entry, thanks!
5. Visit Mee a Bee and add my store to your favorites or give an individual product a heart. Then add a comment below telling me about your favorite or least favorite household chore.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If you are already doing all these things, or lots of them or just one of them, that's wonderful and I really appreciate it. Write your comment below and you'll be entered to win.
You can read more about this bag in the Mee a Bee store. It is exquisite.
I will draw the winner on the 30th or thereabouts. I'll ship anywhere in the world. Thanks for visiting.
More cute messenger bags for kids in the Mee a Bee store on Etsy.