Got my drivers licence renewed - one less thing to worry about

About two months ago I got the postcard to say my (Japanese) driver's licence needed to be renewed. As with all things bureaucratic I put it off and put it off. I had huge notes scrawled across the calendar which I crossed out and transferred each week. I didn't want to miss the deadline since I am due for a GOLD licence this year (no accidents, parking or speeding tickets - touch wood). But I still did not really want to go on my own.

Last night I DECIDED that today would be the day. We dragged ourselves along to the camera shop to get a picture taken. (It turned out very nice) Then I followed the man's instructions to take it straight to the police station. I might have wimped out at that stage had he not told me to do that.

I am pleased to say the women at the Central Police Station were friendly, courteous and very helpful. I managed to get all the paperwork done then and there. We had to watch a half hour traffic safety video then we were free to leave. All told it took about an hour and a half.

Little Guy was happy to sit through the video, appeased by the lollies I found in the bottom of my bag and then later kept company by a REALLY noisy boy the same age. Mr. T looked like an angel compared to him and I was secretly very relieved we were not the ones causing a disturbance for once.

So I did it! It's been a while since I talked about my fear of doing anything official that requires me to speak Japanese. I still have the fear but I guess it's not quite so great these days. Yaye me!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqui...everything seems harder until you push your self to get it done...and you actually wonder why you hesitated in the first place ( I do this all the time)...So glad you got through it and are worry free now !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Jacquie!

    Have a fab Christmas in NZ and look forward to catching up online again on your return!

    Cheerio and Bon Voyage for Saturday,

    Jenny xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! I can see that you have put a lot of hard work on your blog. I'm sure I'd visit here more often. You can also drop by our website. It's mainly about affordable seo services . You might know someone who might be interested. =)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.