This week's books

Did you read my post last week about reading to the kids? In particular to Little Guy, who is three and a half years old.

We continue to read and enjoy last week's books. Little kids love repetition and familiarity.

These books are in the pile for this week:

Corduroy Don Freeman
The Fat Cat Jack Kent
Harvey Slumfenburger's Christmas Present John Burningham
The Lion in the Meadow Margaret Mahy
The Snowy Day Ezra Jack Keats
Whistle for Willie Ezra Jack Keats
We're Going on a Bear Hunt Michael Rosen
Where the Wild Things Are Maurice Sendak

Most of these books are really old, a lot are award winners. I love their old-school illustrations, especially the Peter books (Ezra Jack Keats) have lovely snippets of 70s wallpaper in the rooms. What appeals to me most about these books is their ease of reading, the flow off the tongue, and how enrapturing they are for Little Guy. It's so great to see him taking an interest in something other than police / fire engine / train books that his dad lets him pick each week at the library. He fell asleep tonight with his head under Maisy's Valentine - a little story/sticker book we've been doing since the weekend. So cute!

Tonight I had to pass the book shop as I walked back to my car after the gym. I was thrilled to find two more books for our collection. For Little Guy I got Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag. Biggie will wake up to find The Secret Garden on his bedside table. I might read that one myself!

1 comment:

  1. We are having a very snowy day here ourselves. I will definitely check out those Keats books they sound perfect for cozy days at home.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.