Thoughts on books for kids

A couple of weeks ago I got a book that I had once borrowed from a friend. I ordered it from Amazon but since it's out of print now I chose to buy a copy from a market place seller, that is the book is used. When it arrived it had came from another friend of mine who I have not seen for years. Both myself and the two friends who had this book all belonged to the same playgroup. Since the marketplace sellers use screen names I had no idea it was actually someone I knew. Small world!

The book is Babies Need Books by Dorothy Butler. Of course I don't have a baby but the scope of the book covers the early years through to age six. I loved this book when I first read it since it contains lists. I am a list person. I love having a list to work through especially when it comes to buying and completing "collections".

Yesterday Little Guy and I spent some time searching the house for some of the titles from the three year old's list. I think I must've first read the book when Biggie was three as I had a lot of titles and some were dated 2004 (he was born in 2001).

I really liked the words Butler had to say on "energetic three year olds". She writes at length about the different styles of listening to and absorbing books. She suggested having a big reading session on the couch in the morning, after older siblings have gone to school and dad has gone to work. The bedtime story is often quite a strain for me since we're all tired and I am eager to have the day over. We tried the morning read today and it was so much better. We read and enjoyed four books! Little Guy has been calm and happy while I have been able to get on with some housework. The TV has not been on at all!

In case you are interested we read:
Hairy Maclary's Caterwaul Caper by Lynley Dodd
Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
Peter's Chair by Ezra Jack Keats
An Evening at Alfie's by Shirley Hughes

2 comments:

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.