Thoughts of long weekends


This weekend, being Easter, I am reminded of one huge time-saver for us. No family nearby. Easter, Christmas, birthdays, etc are often spent with family which we would love to do and feel very sad that we can't. Especially for the sake of the kids. Sunday dinners and things like that don't exist for us so while the kids are playing with their dad, I work, since we are just at home anyway.

Mr. Mee a Bee works with his family (parents and older brother) six days a week so he's quite glad NOT to see them on his day off. They are not nearby since we moved out of town four years ago.

I completed four bags today. You can see the fabrics I was working on above. Stuff for boys!

That's not all I did today. I participated in the egg hunt this morning. I went to the gym. We decorated our Easter cookies and cupcakes together. We enjoyed our little family meal together. Mr and I watched two hours of American Idol.  Our day was good but I still feel sad that we weren't doing more extended family stuff. I'm feeling homesick for the first time in ages.

I'm off to bed shortly but before I close my eyes I will read a few pages of my Book Club book. (maybe boring to you, it's a business book!).

7 comments:

  1. I feel similarly around the holidays too. My family is scattered around the continent and my husband has no close family members to speak of. Sometimes we'll get together with friends and celebrate some of the big holidays. This year, it's just the 4 of us. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same boat - parents in Canada, brother in NY, in-laws the other side of the island. Sometimes I'm really glad to have that distance, mostly I'm not. I try to remind myself that it's the life I've chosen but it's hard sometimes! Big sympathy to another sufferer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel, we are on the other side of the country to all our relatives, my husband works in the mines and they run every day of the year so no holidays for us. Our choice to be here though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter! I know it's hard to spend the holidays away form family. I hope you enjoyed it though.

    The bags are adorable! Do you want to do your giveaway on my blog next week? Let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacqui,

    Oh my gosh, that was like reading a post I wrote!! ;) We felt the same this year, but managed to get some Cadbury chocolate instead of Easter eggs. I made pancakes with melty chocolate topping...yum! :)

    My hubby also works with his family and also works 6 days. Alas, we live very close to them... ;)

    Hope you're feeling better soon. Maybe a little chocolate and hanging the Koinobori will help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jacqui..it is hard!! I miss our whanau living in the states at this time of year too. Happy Easter to you all, I hope your lovely boys got some cool Easter eggs.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, i was feeling the same way on sunday! and it really snuck up on me, too.

    99% of the time i am so excited and thrilled and grateful to be living this big adventure, but sometimes i just feel sad that so many people i love are impossibly far away.

    thank goodness for the internet, skype, and wonderful bloggers (like you)! and all the crazy/amazing/cute/clever things in japan that always me feel it's worth it, and then some, again.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.