The "Green" Buzz

This week Earth Day will be celebrated around the world and I find myself wondering what on earth it is! Excuse the pun. Is it a new thing? No, it's been around since the 1970. Have I been living under a rock? There's lots to see and do on the official Earth Day website as well as some easy action points.

It turns out I already do a lot of things - recycle, use my own refillable water bottle, always take my eco-bag shopping and avoid using lights in the house during the day. When I designed our house I tried to incorporate daylighting into the plans. We have huge south facing windows and small north facing ones. Our living room has clerestory windows. On sunny days we rarely need heaters even in winter since we capture the sun's warmth.

I do remember Arbor Day from when I was a child. I noticed on Jo's blog a badge about being a Carbon Neutral blog. I clicked the link and found out how easy it is to participate. So from now on my blog will be carbon neutral as well. A tree will be planted for my blog in Northern California this Arbor Day. Read more here or click the Carbon Neutral badge on the left.

*** I had a lovely email from Christin: "There are still some trees looking for a sponsor. So if you know some people who have a blog or website, pass it on and we'll make their blogs carbon neutral too! "


Here's another fun site to join - I Plant a Tree - every time you plant a tree you can register it with the site and keep track of your personal impact on offsetting CO2 emissions. It's the perfect excuse for me to offer my husband as to why I insist on planting more trees in the garden! We planted five trees over spring break!


Upcycling is another term I am seeing a lot lately. Wiki says "Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value."

In the craft world this type of re-purposing is really taking off. I am seeing men's shirts transformed into girl's dresses, men's suits reappearing as hats and handbags, vintage tablecloths are now beautiful women's skirts. My friend Katharine has been making gorgeous necklaces and brooches from embroidered vintage placemats. Aren't they pretty?

2 comments:

  1. For Aussie's, and maybe for people living in other countries, there is www.carbonneutral.com.au. I donate $30 a month for them to plant trees.

    Thanks for including me in your post Jacqui :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.