My old standby

That headache wore off eventually (zapped by two kinds of pain killers and a litre of cold water).

We had an excellent bike ride and a lovely peaceful picnic. Then we explored rock pools at the beach. On the way home we saw the rescue helicopter (a huge highlight for Little Guy) and watched the police-men-in-training perform high wire tricks.

I was quite energised for a while.
Came home and washed all our shoes.

At dinner time I started to need chocolate. I convinced the boys to eat their dinner quickly then get in the bath with the promise of pudding. While they were gone I magically whipped up our eternal favourite: Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding. Just twelve minutes in the microwave.

I have had this recipe forever. I cannot be sure where I got it from. Perhaps an old Australian Women's Weekly Recipe book. I have it on my computer here dated 2003. We had it as kids, before we had a microwave mum used to bake it in the oven.

Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding

60g butter
1  1/2 c self-raising flour (or a cup and a half of plain flour with one teaspoon of baking powder)
1 c castor sugar
1/4 c cocoa
3/4 c milk*
2 t vanilla essence

for the sauce
1 c brown sugar
1/3 c cocoa
2 c boiling water*

In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
Sift the dry ingredients right on top of the butter. Mix until smooth.


for the sauce
Sprinkle the brown sugar and cocoa on the top of the cake batter. Carefully pour the boiling water over. Do not stir.
Microwave uncovered on HIGH for 12 minutes. Stand for 5 minutes
Serve hot with cold milk poured over or eat it cold for breakfast (I always do)

(*a cup is 250ml for liquids)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.