Still made here: Senshu Towels - February on OhMy! Handmade Goodness


February is Handmade Here month on OhMy! Handmade Goodness. Our editor Jessika asked contributors for articles, interviews, gallery tours and inspiration about things that are made locally by hand. Contributors to OhMy! are scattered all over the world which will make for some wonderful stories.


Last Thursday I got on my bike and toured the small town where I live snapping pictures of local towel 'factories'. Towels are not quite handmade anymore but I think you'll find the history of the senshu towel interesting. Plus there's a chance to win the two towels pictured here on the bottom right. I had a lovely chat to the woman at the shop about them. Visit OhMy! Handmade Goodness to read the full article and make sure you enter to win the two handtowels.   Congratulations Allison! the winner was picked via OhMy! and I posted them off today.

5 comments:

  1. OMGoodness-we were stationed in Japan for many many years and my 4 kids practically grew up there--your pictures brought back so many wonderful memories of the gracious Japanese culture and their commitment to gentle beauty. Thank you for the opportunity to win these gorgeous towels-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read the article on Oh My...and left a comment there. But I wanted to personally thank you for this article because it brought back a lot of memories for me too. I try to buy some of these towels when I visit Japan because they are so wonderful but never knew the story behind them. Now I love them even more. I use them in the kitchen and some are from 2003...they've gotten quite threadbare, but I can't part with them and nothing I buy seems to be able to replace them. Now I know why. Thanks for illuminating a little part of my personal history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Val and Garin! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the article. It was so much fun researching it as I have been enamored with this industry for a while now.

    Don't forget to enter to win the two towels at http://www.ohmyhandmade.com/2011/contributors/handmade-here-japans-shensu-towel-district/

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely giveaway and such beautiful towels

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a mother of 5 and loving everything handmade, I would be tickled pink to win something from so far away. It's the littlest things that mean the most! Love your bags too! Adorable. (:

    Laurie
    Lo Lo Littles
    South Carolina, USA

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.