I've made up a recipe: Cherry & Coconut Muffins

My calendar said there was a Chatty Cafe today, but it was followed by a question mark. I was ninety nine percent sure we had not confirmed for today but that one percent of uncertainty drove me to clean up the house and bake.

Muffins are the fastest and easiest thing for me to make. They take only fifteen minutes to bake and probably ten to mix up. Easy. However upon looking through my recipe book I realised I did not have any of the right ingredients for any of the recipes.


I started thinking about what I could substitute and ended up creating my own recipe.


Cherry & Coconut Muffins

2 cups plain flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

50g melted butter or margarine
2 eggs
1/2 - 3/4 cup coconut milk (canned) - use less if your cherries are quite juicy
1/2 teaspoon almond essence

1/2 cup chopped (pitted) fresh cherries
1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. Prepare a twelve hole muffin pan by spraying well with spray oil.

Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the coconut milk, the eggs and the essence to the melted butter. Mix well. Add the cherries and the coconut to the dry ingredients. Toss to combine. Add the liquids to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined but still lumpy, with a fork. Do not over-mix.

Carefully spoon the mixture into the muffin pans. Bake until golden brown and spring to the touch. About 15 minutes in my fan bake oven. 

Leave in the pan for a few minutes before turning out on a rack to cool. Do not cool in the muffin pan as the bottom will get soggy. You may need to loosen the edges of the muffins with a knife.

I used Alison Holst's recipe book Marvelous Muffins as the starting point for my recipe plus years of experience of baking from this book to come up with this adaptation. I'm thrilled with the results!

There were no Chatters afterall but my Friday class is definitely on tomorrow so now I'm all set. I'll just have to make sure the kids (and I) do not eat all these yummy muffins today.

2 comments:

  1. Ok I will be making this recipe VERY soon!! ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how they work out!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.