The other side: no longer with a 'pre' schooler

I read lots of inspiring blogs and websites and am connected with many wonderful women around the world who work from home. Many of these women are running their businesses with babies and preschoolers still at home with them all day, like I was just two months ago. It's hard. Tiring, frustrating, exhausting, stressful. You may find yourself wondering if it's really worth it. I can't answer that question for anyone else. I can't really even answer it myself. But I do want to share with you an image from today at my place.


Today I hosted my Chatty Cafe class. I woke up at 6.30am as usual, got the kids ready for school and kindergarten, got myself dressed. Noodle is nine so he does everything for himself but I do like to help him by checking he has his chopsticks (he gets a cooked lunch provided at school) and filling up his drink bottle. Most days I also have to remind him to brush his teeth. Little Guy sometimes sleeps in as he did today so I make his breakfast, get him dressed and do his teeth. Of course he can dress himself but he's often insistent that I 'help'. Being Friday he also has a cooked lunch provided at kindergarten so I just had to pack his chopsticks and fill his drink bottle.

Noodle is out the door by 7.50am. He walks to school with a friend. Little Guy and I get in the car at 8.15am. I am back home by 8.45am. I am not due back until 1.50pm most days so .... I have time! I check emails, do laundry and housework. Today I finished off these cupcakes, set the table, did some dusting. I even had time to get changed and fix up my makeup. No mad panic. No greeting the ladies with sweat on my brow, stuffing the vacuum into the nearest cupboard. No preschooler eating a stolen cupcake and dropping crumbs all over the freshly vacuumed carpet. I can leave the sewing machine plugged in and wander off. I don't need to worry if I have left the iron on.

While I don't have a lot of time, really just a few hours a day, it's enough for now. I finally feel sane. I no longer have to feel guilty about not spending enough quality time with the kids. I can't say I miss the kids while they are out but I am certainly happy to see them at the end of their respective days. I suppose I just want to say that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. When you get here you'll wonder, as I do, why you were in such a hurry.

7 comments:

  1. And when they are twenty seven and have left home long ago, you wonder about how that precious time, which seemed to last forever, as over and done in a blink...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much for this! I have a toddler and a newborn and I am running on total exhaustion wondering how anyone actually survives this. It gives me such hope to hear that things will settle down eventually. Even if it is 4-5 years away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely! Can't wait for days I will have like that. (Somewhere around 2038 I think!)

    I always love pictures of your home. It is so beautiful and I can see you in it. Wonderful style, my friend. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts!
    Gill, I often see that far ahead with Noodle, it's racing by with him.
    Offsquare - it really happens!
    Medea - thanks a lot! I love looking at your place too (was noseying around on FB yesterday after seeing the hedge post)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. So glad to hear you are enjoying a bit of freedom and time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jacqui for the constant reminder not to rush things. I certainly have my eyes on that light at the end of the tunnel but know I am exactly where I need to be. Glad you have that guilt free time now :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those pompoms!

    Must be brilliant having a break.

    P.S. Whenever I hear about your chatty cafe I get the munchies!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.