Delightful Morning Teas

For my Friday Chatty Cafe I adapted a recipe to come up with these very delicious muffins. I was worried that the hunks of strawberry were too large, not to mention their misshapen appearance but the ladies all complimented me on them.


I bought all the ingredients at a local supermarket that is well-known in these parts for being a cheap kind of restaurant supply place - Gyomu Super.





Strawberry & White Chocolate Muffins


2 c plain flour
2 t baking powder
3/4 c castor sugar


1 c plain unsweetened yogurt
1 t vanilla essence or extract
1/3 c salad oil such as canola
2 eggs


1 1/2 c frozen strawberries
2 small bars of white chocolate (I used Morinaga)


Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Prepare 12 hole non-stick muffin pan by coating well with non-stick spray (or simply use cupcake liners like I did).

In a large bowl sift the flour, baking powder and sugar. In another bowl combine the yogurt, essence, eggs and oil. Mix well with a whisk.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients then mix gently with a fork until just combined. Take care not to over-mix. It's OK if there are still little pockets of flour showing. Sprinkle the strawberries and the white chocolate broken into chunks over the top. Stir briefly. Over-mixing will result in tough and hard muffins.

Bake until golden brown. When pressed lightly the top bounces back. Depending on your oven and the number of strawberries it could be between 15 and 25 minutes.

Best served on the day with a light dusting of powdered sugar. Can be stored overnight in an airtight container. Before serving reheat in a moderate oven (180 deg) for about 5 or so minutes.

The original recipe called for sour cream and raspberries. It's another Donna Hay one.

2 comments:

  1. These sound great! I'm always pleased to find recipes that only use very basic, easy-to-find-in-Japan ingredients. Time to hit our nearby Gyomu Supa!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.