On the machine: new ballet fabric + soup days

Good morning folks! On the machine this week is the new ballet fabric from Kokka. New for 2012 it is so cute. It has a real retro vibe and reminds me of my friend Lynette's bedroom wallpaper when we were girls.

It's been a slow start to the week. No sooner has one kid gone back to school than the other is sick. Noodle is home for the third day in a row (five if you count the weekend) recovering from his cold. His whole class has been closed for two days since there are a number of cases of flu amongst the kids. I am so looking forward to tomorrow, a day at home to myself.

The weather has turned bad, rain and perhaps snow later. There's nothing better than homemade soup on days like this. I have a pot of vegetable soup on now with split peas, celery and bacon. Last night I made pumpkin & kumara (sweet potato) soup. Our favourite.

The bakery truck will be parked by kindy today at lunchtime so we may just dash over for some freshly baked bread. We'll have to be careful though. Last Wednesday Little Guy fell over on our way there. He scraped his knee, face and hand. It's the second or third time he's had an accident there, I think it's jinxed. In front of the library.

Soup? Chopped onion, sautéed in a large pot till translucent. Mix in half a teaspoon of curry powder (optional), sauté for a further one minute. Add in roughly chopped, peeled sweet potatoes and pumpkin. Top with water till just covering the vegetables. Bring to the boil and simmer for about twenty minutes, until vegetables are tender. Purée with an immersion blender. Great to freeze in single servings for after-school snack. I use Japanese kabocha pumpkin which is naturally sweet but you could use any pumpkin.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.