An unexpected lunch date

Lunchtime at Mee a Bee HQ is usually a quiet affair and today was no different except I had a 'date'. Yep, I got the call from Noodle's school half an hour ago to tell me Noodle had spiked a fever and needed picking up. I'm sorry he's sick but it seems to be a conspiracy since Little Guy won't be home until late - I was having a lovely leisurely day by myself!

Noodle has been sick with colds for the past month or so, one after the other, he seems to be a magnet for them. My plan was to boost his immune system with more hearty vegetables. And fruit. Soups, stir-fries and smoothies have been on the menu a lot.

After I saw the movie Julie & Julia I bought Julia Child's book Julia's Kitchen Wisdom. It's a super little book. There aren't any glorious mouth-watering pictures, just pages of simple text with methods for basic recipes and suggested variations. Take the soup we had for lunch today. Primal Soups - Master Recipe - Leek and Potato Soup. It could not be simpler since you just have to boil the ingredients and season. The ingredients are leeks and potatoes. That's it! and water and salt. You can also gild the lily by adding cream or creme fraiche but it's not necessary. It is so delicious I have made it three times in the past two weeks. I use my immersion blender to puree it right in the pot. Easy.

*We can't buy leeks at my supermarket so I substitute naga-negi - a long and thick spring onion type of vegetable. Cheap and plentiful in all Japanese supermarkets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.