Movie catchup

It's been a while since I talked about movies, time for a catchup!

Last night Mr. came home with a comedy starring Eddie Murphy (eek) and a suspicious all-star cast. Tower Heist turned out to be not too bad. Okay for a low-key Sunday evening but I won't recommend it.

One actress I was pleased to see was Gabby Sidibe who I saw in the movie Precious a couple of months ago. What a terrifyingly realistic film that was. Absolutely heart wrenching. It makes you glad for the life you have. Watch it when you are feeling sorry for yourself and you will soon realize how good you have it. It's the kind of film you want to forget but cannot.

Another dark and somewhat depressing film I watched was Detachment which I picked because of the great line-up of actors like Adrien Brody, Christina Hendricks and Blythe Danner. It is also a film that makes you think and appreciate all you have. Right up my alley. Plus Adrien Brody? yes, please.

Blythe Danner, who I think is just terrific, played the part of the grandmother wonderfully in the movie The Lucky One. This cliche-ridden love story is based on a novel by Nicholas Sparks so you know what to expect. All I can say is that I was not a fan of Zac Efron outside of High School Musical but I think there is a glimmer of possibility for him in more adult roles - kinda sexy!

A series that has had a lot of hype surrounding it is The Hunger Games. I just heard that this trilogy of books has now surpassed even Harry Potter as best selling books! Of course I didn't know anything much about the books or the film but I watched it. It isn't my style of story being futuristic and a little Science-Fictiony. It reminded me of Logan's Run or Doctor Who from when I was a child. Kind of weird. I didn't like it much.

While on the plane back and forth from New Zealand is when I watched most of the movies. I loved the two Emily Blunt films I watched simply because she is so lovely. Paired with Ewan McGregor in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. I thought they were just perfect as a couple. I did not like her matched up with Jason Segel in The Five Year Engagement. (He's great with the girl from Buffy in How I met Your Mother) Still I did quite enjoy the Five Year Engagement overall. For a light feel-good romance. This one and Salmon Fishing. Both recommended.

The kids went to see the animated film Brave. They both enjoyed it very much.

That's about all I have seen lately. What do you have on your list of must-sees?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.