On Trend: Neon Colour Blocking


Today I had a crazy idea - to paint some neon props for my shop photos. A quick look in the cupboard found four pots of dried up crud that I have been saving for, oh about eleven years, from a nursery project when Noodle was a baby. Luckily one or two pots were okay including this perfect neon yellow appropriately named turbo yellow.

Then I set about finding some things to paint, wanting to try the popular 'colour blocking' technique we're seeing everywhere right now. It's totally easy, just mark off a line with your trusty masking tape (the painter's kind, not the good washi tape) and paint! I found an old noodle box in the kid's room, made from balsa wood. And this unpainted wooden doll. You can see heaps of cool colour (or color) blocking on Pinterest or check out this cute tutorial.

I got excited about painting and re-did the letters from Noodle's nursery (N O A H) but only the O worked out as it was already yellow.

Finally I thought I'd go for it and try painting a glass bottle. That was easy ... but harder than it looks. In the light the paint inside is very uneven. But against a wall or even in this picture it looks great! You can see the technique here, though I just went with my gut as to how to do it.

Feeling inspired? The whole project took twenty minutes including clean up. I used Resene paints that clean up with water.

3 comments:

  1. I really appreciate that you share trends with the unstylish like me! Love noticing all the cool things after you point them out to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are so kind. It really makes my day to read comments like yours!
    Kind of freaky but have a look at handmade Charlotte (http://www.handmadecharlotte.com/diy-lego-pencil-holder/

    An even cooler project which I am halfway there with! And we did it on the same day in different continents with the same colour paint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what they say about great minds!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.