Parenting Philosophy - where does it come from?

His giant cloth-diapered bottom.


Before I had kids I had had very little experience with them. As a teen I coached little kids to swim but since I was still a kid myself it didn't really seem to count. I babysat a few times for a friend and for a while a neighbor (remember when I nearly burnt the house down heating the bottle, dad?). I taught children here in Japan as well as working on developing the curriculum. I guess that is when I became interested early childhood development but it still didn't really translate into my real life.

Many women feel an uncontrollable urge to create things when they are pregnant. I was no different. I sewed curtains for the nursery. I made a whole set of bedding for the Moses basket our newborn slept in and even sewed sheets for the cot. I can't believe that now! I think it was more driven by the lack of nice things available in Japan at the time. Of course Internet shopping was still getting off the ground then so I couldn't even order stuff.

So my first son was surrounded by handmade things. I was reading and learning about parenting. My parenting philosophy was born. It's hard to say what it is without sounding preachy, condescending and patronizing. Every parent has their own ideas and I am trying to be more open-minded and less judgmental about what other people choose to do.

Why am I thinking about this now? We're again at a crossroads in our life with our youngest child soon to start primary school. I need to decide what direction my professional life will take. I am reviewing my own priorities for the family. Mr. Mee and I are talking, making plans. We are taking stock of our skills and seeing where our experiences put us. It's an exciting time! And of course we are parents first and I have realized that it's not necessary to separate our parenting philosophy from our business philosophy. What we want for our family is probably similar to what many people want for theirs. Or at least there will be some take-aways.

So stay tuned for our new manifest. In the works now!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on parenting, what you hold dear and value above-all when it comes to family.



2 comments:

  1. I have no idea what I will do once Isabelle's in school... Also have no idea where we'll be, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you will be quilting and happy!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.