Invaded by technology

Well I am hoping to get back to more regular blog posts. December just whizzed by with birthdays; lunches out; cleaning, shopping and cooking for Christmas; cleaning, shopping and cooking for New Years; my aunty's vist and wrapping up the school year.

My aunty has departed (sob, sob) and the kids are back at school (yaye, yaye) so here goes! 2013!

Recently the Mee a Bee family has been bombarded with new technology. My 'new' mobile, well I still haven't worked out all the kinks. Today I almost jumped out of my skin when it started talking to me, in a scary voice, it was an alarm I had set up a month ago!

Two days ago Mr. Mee a Bee bought a 'smartphone' for work. He was reading the manual in bed before we went to sleep. In the middle of the night it started beeping then proceeded to flash brightly sporadically for the rest of the night. I was too tired to move it or really even become conscious as to what was going on. Turns out the battery was dying.

We also had to replace our home phone just last week. Yesterday it rang for the first time. Sorry to whoever was calling, it took me quite a while to realise where the music was coming from, actually Little Guy pointed it out. "It's the phone!!!" what phone? the phone, my phone, skype on the iPad? By the time I got to it the answer phone had picked up. I missed the call completely.

Which brings me to our latest and scariest new acquisition. A cell phone for Noodle. Heaven help us! Naive as we are, we simply handed it over, wrapped up on Christmas.We have been backtracking ever since with RULES that should have been imposed from the start! Let me just say I am dreading the first bill.

Here are some of the rules I have discussed with the boy. He's eleven. His phone does not have internet access. It's not a smartphone. He cannot send long emails, nor send photos to his friends. His plan lets him ring other phones connected to the same network (such as mine) free between  the hours of 9am and 9pm. His school has a no cell-phone policy.


Don't make the mistake we did. Review the rules BEFORE you hand over the phone, even before you buy it. Don't assume a mature kid will 'get' the "It's not free" clause. Take a look at this helpful page on CommonSense Media.

3 comments:

  1. haha 1st world problems at your place
    Glad to have you back x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to tell my 12 year old daughter about your son's phone... she hasn't really asked for one yet, but I know it will be just a matter of time. I agree about rules... unfortunately my kids are very good at agreeing to everything, but then conveniently forgetting they did so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep and yep!
    Thanks for checking in you two!
    Will keep you posted as to how it unfolds.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Thanks, I read each and every one of them!

I try to reply to all your comments, if you want to know what I and others say check :Email follow-up comments to ...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.